Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Sustainability in the suburbs

My favourite and most worrying conundrum.How do I live a sustainble lifestyle within the context of the suburb that I live in and with the resources available to me including time,community and finances.What are the changes I want to make and based upon what premises.Is it to limit our consumption and production or contributing to the greenhouse gas problem through excessive use of carbon/co2/greenhouse gas based or produced electricity or goods?Or is it something bigger...important as this task is to tackle individually and as a suburb /conscious community.At what end to start and where do I want to end up?The amount of changes seem daunting and sometimes hard to put into a meaningful global context to see how they are working to lower emissions .Yet still  I have to start somewhere with this lifestyle change (and journey with my partner as well)...which in many ways has many aspects and benefits that we dont ordinarily think of.I also realise that my simplification efforts and cost lowering and conscience relieving ,has already had a start with the way we try to limit and control our consumption for more spiritual and financial reasons...eg things like using hand mowers...recycling clothes,not being rabid consumerist buyers of everything new,buying spray free and organics....these all are an aspect of the sustainable life...its where they sit and piece together whcih is sometimes confusing.What about work?

No comments: